Click Here for the Oregon Reform School|
Following the description, and whenever possible, I've included information in "red", regarding what has become of the institution, and if it still exsists, in what capacity does it still serve the people of Oregon. Pertinent contact information is included whenever possible.
|Oregon has established a custom of providing state aid to privately-conducted charitable institutions, such as homes for wayward girls, baby homes, homes for foundlings, for the friendless and others. Such institutions, when approved by the state board of health, receive state aid on an equal basis as follows: Sixteen dollars the month for each wayward girl between the ages of 12 and 18 years, and $20 the month for each maternity or venereal case under the age of 21 years. The state board of control investigates the claims of these institutions, and checks the number of inmates and the records. Institutions receiving direct appropriations from the state are not entitled to benefits under this law. The following institutions now receive state aid:|
W.G. MacLaren, general superintendent; Mrs. Mary Parker, matron, 116 East 22nd street north, just off Sandy boulevard. Office, 816 Dekum building, Portland.
This home is conducted under the auspices of the Pacific Protective society. It is a home for babies of unmarried mothers, abandoned mothers' babes and foundlings from one day to three years, and also for emergency placements in private families, subject to approval of the child welfare commission. Non child is refused admission, if the parent or guardian can fill out the admission form for the Oregon child welfare commission. When surrendered by the parents or permanently committed by the courts the children are given for adoption through regular court procedure.
*Still tending to the increasing needs of Oregon's brave and challenged, The Albertina Kerr Centers provide an array of services for abused and neglected children. They also provide residential and vocational services for people with development disabilities.
Telephone  239-8101
J. Teuscher, Jr., superintendent, 166 East 29th street north, Portland.
This society was incorporated in 1885 and is a charitable, nonsectarian organization and receives homeless, neglected and abused children from all parts of the state, from infancy to 16 years. All children of school age attend public schools.
Order of court or surrender on part of parents is necessary for admittance.
Children are placed in family homes which have been carefully investigated before placement, and visits to these homes are made from time to time by thoroughly trained and experienced representatives of the society. Children under eight years of age are placed with the intention of adoption after a reasonable trial period. Children beyond eight years are also placed in family homes but adoption is not nsisted upon in every case.
The receiving home is thoroughly equipped for the physical and moral training and protection of children. There are seven dormitories properly heated and lighted, affording ample segregation both as to sex and ages. Only experienced and competent people are employed. There is a night-watch making rounds every hour of the night. There are large playgrounds. Children attend Sunday school and public school as other children do. This society has the cooperation of the leading hospitals of the city and a fine medical staff consisting of specialists takes care of various cases. There is a complete set of records in files.
Financial support is derived from membership fees, income from small endowments, gifts from public schools, small amount from the community chest, and state per capita for children under 16 years of age while actually in the receiving home. All field work is at the expense of the society, which holds membership in the National Children's Home and Welfare association and is in friendly cooperation with every reputable child-placing organization of its kind in the United States and Canada.
Careful and impartial investigations are made for county judges or other public officials, but not upon the request of private individuals.
*Special needs adoption services, pregnancy talkline, infant adoption services, and crisis intervention service. "The agency's primary values encompass a belief in the inherent worth of each individual and the belief that all people have the ability and desire to grow."
Telephone  222-9661
[Woman's Christian Temperance Union]
This home on the Pacific highway, three miles north of Corvallis, was established in 1923 by the Oregon W.C.T.U., for homeless and indigent children. The farm comprises 245 acres of fertile land of which about half is under cultivation and the balance in pasture and campus.
There are seven occupied cottages housing 140 children and one new cottage nearly ready for occupancy. There is also a modern, well-equipped school, built largely by state funds. The building can be enlarged to meet future requirements. The school is conducted in cooperation with the Oregon state normal at Monmouth and is ued as a training center for students from that institution. At present there are four employed teachers and 16 student teachers. Grades taught are from the first to the eighth inclusive.
The main office is at the farm home, Corvallis. The Portland office, 501 Stock Exchange building, where all contributions are sent and finances kept, is conducted by Mrs. Madge J. Mears, secretary.
The home is distinctly protestant and Christian, but nonsectarian and is open to all dependent children regardless of creed or color. However, there are many more applications for places than can be provided and, almost weekly, children are refused because there is no room. In the past year more applicants have been refused than there are children now in the home.
Twenty children under the care of two Christian house mothers are housed in each cottage. A balanced diet, including a quart of whole milk daily, for each child is provided. Medical attention to correct physical defects is emphasized. Thus the physical, mental and moral welfare of the child are equally stressed.
All children are temporary or permanent court commitments. As early as possible good Christian foster homes are secured for the permanent commitments.
Telephone  541-757-1852
Sister Mary Erentrude, superior, Oswego.
This home for girls, which is under the general superintendence of the Most Reverend Archbishop of Oregon, is conducted by the Sisters of the Holy Names. Only girls from 6 to 16 years of age are admitted, nor does the religious belief of the applicant disqualify her for entrance.
The site is an attractive one and contains 125 acres of land, mostly under cultivation. The main residence building is a fine brick structure, three stories and basement, with wide halls, high ceilings and many large windows. The laundry and heating plant occupy a separate brick structure, and the equipment is mainly modern. A fully equipped dental clinic, the gift of Dr. A.F. Petzel, of Portland, has been installed.
The girls enjoy full-time educational advantages under the most favorable conditions. Special teachers are provided, lessons in all the household arts are given as age and capacity permit, and proper attention is given to physical training and recreation. The number of girls registered during 1927-28 was 2000.
Florence - Mrs. Laura Ward, superintendent, East 31st and Glisan streets, Portland.
The object of this organization is to provide and maintain a home for the shelter and care of girls who are facing maternity; to receive and instruct them during the waiting period; to encourage them in meeting the sacred obligation of motherhood; to assist them in finding suitable occupation; and to follow them with kindness and assistance as they go forth to begin life anew.
Temporary shelter is given to any young woman in distress. Classes in cooking, general elementary English subjects, sewing and household work are taught.
Sisters of the Good Shepherd, 167 Dekum avenue, Portland.
This institution for the care and training of wayward, delinquent and incorrigible girls, is also known as St. Rose industrial school. Girls may be committed to the institution by courts throughout the state, or may be placed by parents or lawful guardians through the child welfare commission.
The school is a thoroughly modern, fireproof building and splendidly equipped in every department. The grounds comprise 10 acres with large playground and fruit orchard.
Elementary instruction is given to those who have not finished the eighth grade, and a two-year high school commercial course to advanced pupils. The girls are also instructed in the various branches of plain and fine sewing, embroidery, music and domestic science. The daily schedule calls for five hours a day school-work; orchestra and a private practice of recreation. A registered nurse is in charge of the girls' infirmary and pharmacy.
At the present time, there are 106 girls enrolled in the school. Part of these are paid for by the state of Oregon at the rate of $16 a month, and a few are paid for at the same rate by parents and relatives. Another source of income is the community chest of Portland.
The institution operates under the law, and under rules and regulations prescribed by the state board of health and child welfare commission.
W.G. MacLaren, general superintendent; Miss Alice Williams, R.N., matron; Mrs. Emma Russell, social service department. Ofice; 816 Dekum building, Portland.
Nonsectarian and operated under the auspices of the Pacific Protective society. The home is situated on a 20-acre tract on the Barker road between Baseline and Sandy boulevard. The home is conducted for all girls needing friendship, medical aid and legal or friendly advice. Girls are received on personal application, court order, etc. The social service department will undertake to make investigations of cases of juvenile delinquency. Its chief interest is concerned in the unmarried mother and delinquent girls. Girls are encouraged to keep their babies when the required time for remaining in the home has expired. Suitable employment is found for the girls, and every care given them in the line of friendship rather than jurisdiction, as long as they need it. A fully equipped dental clinic is in operation.
This home for old people was incorporated by the officers and members of the Albina Union Relief Society in December 1887. The title to the land on which the home stands was given by the late Matthew Patton, an Oregon pioneer.
The Patton home provides room and board, washing and general nursing for men and women, at a reasonable cost. A physician is provided without charge to the residents of the home. Applicants for admission must have been residents in the state of Oregon for at least one year just previous to applying. A few life members of 70 years or more of age are received by the payment of a life membership. No one who is mentally unfit or who has a contagious disease is received. Dr. David H. Rand, Morgan building, Portland, is the examining physician.
The home is supported by the income from residents, Patton Home association dues, gifts and bequests, and aid furnished by the state. There are now 70 persons enjoying the comforts of the home.
"In addition to housing for low-income residents, Patton Home provides assistance to the frail and elderly. The home is licensed with the state to provide 64 single residential rooms, three hot meals a day and some nursing assistance for residents."
Sister M. Clare, superintendent.
Situated 15 miles south of Portland and one mile from Oregon City on the Pacific highway. This home, under the management of the Sisters of Mercy, assisted by capable nurses, has for its object the care of dependent children under seven years of age, and for the placing through the field secretary such wards as are eligible for adoption.
There are three departments for the children, namely; the nursery for infants until able to walk; the toddlers' department for children from one and one-half to four years of age; each of these departments has a capacity of 20 beds. The nursery is equipped with a Burdick quartz lamp and has proved most beneficial to all the children.
The older children occupy a separate building, with a 60-bed capacity. This building is well ventilated and has every convenience. There is a large recreation hall, one class room and kindergaten. Of the 60 children in this group about 30 attend the class exercises. Since the home was incorporated in the year 1902, more than 2,450 little ones have been cared for and numbers placed in ideal homes. A child specialist visits the home bi-weekly.
During the year 1928 there were 205 admissions. At present there are 85 children in the home.