Joseph C. Heesaker, superintendent, Beaverton.
Located 12 miles west of Portland, in the Tualatin valley, it is a home for orphans, semi-orphans, deserted and abandoned boys of normal intelligence. Since its foundation in 1889 it has sheltered over 2,000 boys. Delinquent and feeble-minded children are not accepted, but any dependent boy between the age of 6 and 14 is accepted, irrespective of race or creed.
The boys enjoy superior educational advantages. They are given individual attention and are promoted as rapidly as the grades are completed. A complete high school course is open to those students who have completed the grammar grades. This education is supplemented by industrial and agricultural training, gardening, etc.
A new home, on the cottage plan, is now in course of construction; three units are complete and more plans call for 10 cottages, each cottage to contain from 20 to 25 boys.
St. Mary's home is also a home-placing agency. Through its field workers, whose Portland office is located at 601 McKay building, Third and Stark streets, it placed over 100 boys last year, either in homes or in lucrative positions. The annual enrolment runs considerable over the 300 mark, with an average attendance of about 200.
It affords not only moral and intellectual education to its inmates but their physical training also receives due attention. Extensive playgrounds furnish an ample opportunity for out-of-door amusements, while a gymnasium supplies the winter need in athletics. So proficient have the boys become in athletic sports, that for the space of five years they have not been defeated in any major sport by any team of their weight in the state. A fully-equipped dental clinic is also in operation.
Telephone [503 649-5651]
Home address, 1064 Woodward avenue, Portland; Miss Evelyn Walker, superintendent; office, 1017 Broadway building, Portland; Miss Lydia Schreiner, secretary.
The baby home is a charitable organization, incorporated under the laws of Oregon, May 16, 1889. It is located two miles southeast of the city and occupies a beautiful site covering more than three acres of ground with good buildings, well adapted to the care of the little ones.
It cares for homeless and dependent children under the age of three years, and they are kept until called for by parents or guardians, or, if placed there as foundlings or dependents, are placed for adoption into respectable families whose status has been carefully investigated.
More than 3,300 babies have thus received care in this institution since its organization. The general supervision is in the hands of 12 trustees selected largely from various churches in Portland. The institution itself is nonsectarian. Themedical staff is selected from physicians of the city who are experienced in the care of babies.
The institution cares for from 175 to 200 children annually.
Adjutant Elise H. Allemann, superintendent; Esther Berglund, R.N., head nurse, 565 Mayfair avenue, Portland.
The Salvation Army opened its Portland resue home for girls in 1897. In 1920 the present property was purchased - a place, because of its secluded, ample grounds, ideally suited to the purpose.
The home is for unmarried, expectant mothers, and also for delinquent minor girls. If room permits, destitute and deserted wives are admitted and given hospital care.
Delinquent girls are usually committed to the home by juvenile courts. Others may apply either personally, or are referred to the home by physicians, authorities, welfare agencies or friends.
The home is truly home. The girl is under kindly supervision, instructed in household duties, sewing, etc., and the care of children. The training received will eventually enable her to make a livelihood for herself and child. The object of the home has ever been to help the unfortunate girl become a useful and respected member of society, and to instil, or, in many cases, restore high ideals.
There is a standard school in the home under the supervision of the Portland public schools, affording those who have not finished grade work to continue their studies with practically no interruption.
The girl remains in the home for a period of not less than three months; it being necessary for her to be here until the baby is six weeks old, in order that she may have thenecessary medical care and that the child may get the proper start. If, after this time, she can be recommended, a situation is found for her where she can take her little one; thus the tie between the mother and child is kept unbroken. She is now considered an "outside girl" and as such receives a hearty welcome on her visits to the home - if her conduct proves her worthy of this honor. A special home-coming is held the last Thursday of each month. When a girl loses her situation she may come home until another is found for her, thus preventing a return to her old life or companions.