ROSTER OF OREGON CHURCHES CONTINUED
Dayton, in Yamhill county. Dayton is "over churched" so far as organizations go. Consequently all churches have had a struggle. Howbeit, the Christian Church has always kept open house, and for thc most time they have had a minister. They number some staunch disciples in their midst.
Enterprise, in Wallowa county, in the month of February. This congregation tried the experiment of federation, tying up in an agreement with three other congregations for a period of five years. They righteously lived up to their contract, but when the agreement closed it was necessary to send in the state evangelist to gather up the fragments and build them into a Church of Christ again. Every federation experiment in the state has proved a failure.
Heppner, in Morrow county. This was the home town of J. V. Crawford, a pioneer Oregon preacher who is mentioned on previous pages. His connections were largely the secret of Heppner's present strength as a church.
Portland Third, in Multnomah county. The name was changed later to Rodney Avenue, and in 1921 it was merged with the Woodlawn congregation to form the Mallow Avenue Church of Christ and located at the corner of Mallow Avenue and Alberta Street. David Wetzel organized the old Third Church.
The following names appear for the first time on the 1893 list but it seems probable that some of them at least existed earlier than this date:
Astoria, in Clatsop county. This organization was shortlived. In 1918 the State Board sent their evangelist, R. L. Dunn, to Astoria with instructions to stay long enough to build a church or demonstrate that it couldn't be done. He organized the church. Various fortunes have come to it but through all of them there has been steady progress. The disastrous fire that burned up the business part of the town in 1921 was a severe setback to the church, but it survived it. This was the fourth effort at organizing the cause in Astoria and it was accomplished on May 1, 1918.
Camas Valley, in Douglas county.
Central Point, in Jackson county. It was reorganized March 4, 1903, and still lives.
Gales Creek, in Washington county.
Hood River, in Hood River county. It was reorganized October 3, 1905. The church has always had a struggle but it has steadily grown. Some of our best preachers have been numbered among its ministers.
Irving, in Lane county. The old church building was
finally turned over to the Eugene Bible University. Lancaster, in Lane county.
Newberg, in Yamhill county. This effort did not long continue. On April 9, 1907, it was organized anew as the result of a meeting held by Geo. C. Ritehey. That meeting was held as the outgrowth of an action by the Northwest District Convention a few weeks previously. It is now one of the strong churches in the Valley with an up-to-date building.
Oregon City, in Clackamas county. This congregation did not survive. This was one of the hard places in the state to get a foothold. Time and time again the effort was made only to be defeated. Early in 1926 the State Board arranged with Paul DeF. Mortimore, pastor at Gladstone, to hold weekly services in a hall for the faithful ones to be found there. The State Board paid the expenses incidental thereto. This led up to a meeting by Teddy Leavitt in the fall and on October 4, 1926 an organization was affected that has since maintained and grown. The State Board helped to pay for the meeting and counts it one of their best investments. The church has been meeting in a hall but they are now preparing to burst out from the shell and assume the place of power and influence in the community they deserve.
Walterville, in Lane county.
Williams, location unknown.
There is no record of churches organized in 1894.
Pioneer, in Marion county.
Portland, Woodlawn, in Multnomah county, in October by J. F. Ghormley, then pastor of the First Church. In 1921 they merged with the Rodney Avenue Church to form the Mallory Avenue Church of Christ.
Richland, in Baker county. This church still lives. Union, in Union county. After a series of scandalous troubles the church house burned down and the church died. There is hope that it may live again.
Elmira, in Lane county, in the month of January.
Scotts Mills, in Marion county. A reorganization on January 17, 1915, is alive at this writing.
Franklin, in Lane county,in August.
This church has sometimes been known as Smithfield.
Alvadore, in Lane county. In its beginning days it was a purely crossroads church, and was known as Fern Ridge. When the railroad went through a station close by was named Alvadore and the name of the church was finally changed to that designation.
Ashland, in Jackson county, was born on April 19. It has been weak in finance but strong in faith.
Elgin, in Union county. This church has evangelized the whole country round about. At one time there were recorded more than 250 members in the Elgin church, but the working unit was much smaller. It is evidence of consecrated zeal in spreading the Word, however.
Kingston, in Linn county. Kingston is situated just across the river from Stayton. Stayton had the strong church, but Kingston had a railroad. The Kingston church was formed by a group of people who were members of the church at Stayton but who lived on the Kingston side of the river. Perhaps, too, there were optimistic visions that Kingston would outdistance Stayton in the race as a city. But the church did not long continue.
The following names appear on the list for the first time this year, yet it seems probable that some of them, at least, existed before that date:
Alicel, in Union county. Alicel is not much more than a suburb of La Grande, hence it is hardly to be expected that a church could well exist there. This organization died and was born again in October, 1910. But that did not endure.
Baker, in Baker county. We have no record how long this effort lasted. In the last part of 1909 the State Secretary received an appeal from a Ladies' Aid Society to "Come over and help us." He went and held a week's meeting which resulted in the reorganization of the cause with 47 members on January 2, 1910. It has been a husky child ever since.
Echo, location unknown with certainty. It cannot be
positively identified with the Echo in Umatilla county. Glenada, location unknown.
Lebanon, in Linn county. This was an abortive effort but in January, 1908, a reorganization was effected which has survived.
Lostine, in Wallowa county. This church still lives but it has not supported regular preaching for a long time. Their permanency was assured by the gift of a building for church purposes by Sister M. E. McCubbin.
Lyonsville, location unknown.
Mosier, in Wasco county. This church has existed, and saved souls, for many years without any other ministry than that of the eldership or an occasional meeting. They have had a virile eldership.
Newbridge, in Baker county.
Noble, located on the Crooked Finger Ferry in Marion county.
Parkersville, in Lane county.
Pilot Rock, in Umatilla county.
Yoncalla, in Douglas county. It was later reorganized but did not survive that. Again in June of 1928 Garland Hay held a seven weeks' meeting that resulted in a church of 74 members.
The following names appear for thc first time on the 1900 list. For the most part they are of unknown location and many of them existed only for a short time, and some of them perhaps in name only. But the appearance of their names on the list is an evidence of the preaching
of the gospel and saving of souls:
Alpha, location unknown.
Condon, in Gilliam county. It is quite certain that the congregation reported here was more or less identical with an "anti" church that is known to have existed there since.
Cove, in Union county.
Deer Creek, location unknown, perhaps in Douglas county.
Dilley, in Washington county
Dusty, location unknown. Hay Creek, location unk. Haystack, in Crook county. Herman, location unk. Lakeview, in Lake county.
New Pine Creek, Lake county. This church existed
until late in this decade.
Oak Hill, location unknown.
Pleasant Valley, location unknown.
Shoestring Valley, location unknown.
Star, location unknown.
Turner, in Marion county. The building was burned and the congregation disbanded. In 1919 a meeting was held by Ralph Putnam in the Presbyterian church which resulted in a splendid organization. In 1925 Mrs. Cornelia A. Davis built a memorial church house for the congregation which cost upwards of $40,000.
Ivison, location unknown.
Nashville, in Lincoln county, in August, by J. B. Lister.
Riverton, in Coos county.
Rock Point, in Marion county.
Woodburn, in Marion county. This may be the remains of the old Monitor congregation. It still lives.
Myrtle Point, in Coos county, on November 24.
Riddle, in Douglas county. It died and was organized again in July, 1927, by Wm. R. Baird and Walter Strata.
North Santiam, in Marion county. A forlorn church house is all that indicates the presence of a church there in former years.
Portland Central, in Multnomah county, November 23, by J. F. Ghormley. This was the second attempt to organize the cause on the East side. A monumental stone building was erected at the corner of East 20th and Salmon Streets. Financial difficulties discouraged the leaders and they disbanded in 1915. The new East Side church was born out of its residue. The stone building was finally bought up by the Baptists.
There is no record of organization in 1904, but it is quite certain that some of the churches located elsewhere on the calendar belong to this date.
Marshfield, in Coos county.
Portland Sellwood, in Multnomah county. This little church has had a colorful history. Much of its life it has spent in halls and storerooms. In 1912, with the aid of the City Mission Board, they erected a little home on East 17th and Nehalem Streets. Difficulties arose which caused the congregation to abandon the church house to the bats and they began to keep house again in a rented hall. About 1920 they purchased an abandoned church property at East 8th Street and Spokane Avenue. They improved the property and changed thc corporate name of the church to Spokane Avenue Church of Christ, which name it holds to this day.
Santa Clara, in Lane county. This is perhaps the most successful rural church in the state. Its prosperity is due largely to the fact that its close proximity to Eugene, and the prosperity of its membership, gave it the privilege of drawing upon Eugene Bible University for its very best preaching talent among students and faculty.
Berlin, in Linn county.
Grass Valley, in Sherman county.
Ione, in Morrow county. This work was disbanded and reorganized in 1911. It is a flourishing congregation today.
Irrigon, in Morrow county. This has been reorganized several times but without success. A church building stands there as a relic of the Christian Church. The Presbyterians have used it so long that they actually thought they owned it. They would not be convinced even with court records. In later years a considerable controversy arose over it, but nothing was to be gained
by contending for the property.
Madras, in Jefferson co.
Odell, in Hood River co. This was disbanded but was reorganized in 1924. It is now a flourishing church.
Phoenix, in Jackson co. The church has disbanded but a meetinghouse is kept open a part of the time.
Portland St. Johns, Multnomah co, on October 28. This has grown to be a strong congregation.
Marcola, in Lane co. N. R. Workman, a resident of the community, has kept the cause alive here.
Portland Kern Park, in Multnomah co., by J. F. Ghormley and E. S. Muckley. This has grown to be one of Portland's influential churches.
Wallowa, in Wallowa co., July 31.
The following churches appear for the first time on the church roll. There are some evidences that they may have existed earlier:
Gooseberry, in Morrow co. J.W. White, a pioneer minister of sainted memory, did much preaching through Morrow county in schoolhouse points. While his work does not live with congregations as memorials, there are hearts in which its influence will never die.
Grizzley, in Crook co.
McKay, in Crook co.
Promise, in Wallowa co. This was afterwards reorganized in 1916, on September 30.Strawberry, in Morrow county.
Vale, in Malheur co, in April. This has been our lone church in Malheur county for many years.
Wamic, in Wasco co.
Bandon, in Coos co. Reorganized in 1912, but that did not continue.
Bridge, in Coos co. An effort is still being made to carry on a Bible school.
Crabtree, in Linn co., in September.
East Eugene, in Lane co., in May by J. M. Morris. This church is often designated as Fairmount church. It is the second church in Eugene.
Flora, in Wallowa co. It has been reorganized a number of times but it has never succeeded.
Klamath Falls, in Klamath co. A group of people met with the State Secretary in June of that year. They were permanently organized by J. B. Holmes in October. They have grown and now have one of the handsomest buildings in the state.
Laidlaw, in Des Chutes co., in July, by Samuel Gregg.
La Monta, in Crook co.
Silverton Hills, in Marion co., on July 3.
Beaverton, in Washington co., on January 20. This church was disbanded and reorganized by Teddy Leavitt in 1925. It is now one of the strong churches of the community.
Dexter, in Lane county, on January 2. This congregation finally merged with the Trent church and lives now under that name.
Willamina, in Yamhill co. on September 11. This church was not long lived but while it did live it gave to the brotherhood one of its strongest preachers, Guy L. Drill.
Culver, in Jefferson co., April 16.
Estacada, in Clackamas co., in September. This was formerly an "anti" congregation. A meeting held by the "progressives" resulted in the conversion of the church as an organization. A few of the "anti" brethren refused, and to this day refuse, to affiliate.
Fossil, in Wheeler co., in November, by G. E. Williams.
Jefferson, in Marion co., in August.
Lower Cove, in Union co., May 1, by Samuel Gregg.
Ontario, in Malheur co., March 26, by G. E. Williams.
Pocahontas, in Baker co., March 5, by Samuel Gregg.
Portland Montavilla, in Multnomah co., January 25, by the First Church through G. K. Berry.
Post, in Crook co., in September, by Samuel Gregg.
Riverview, in Lane co., on June 15. This church was formed by a group of people in the Junction City church who organized in their own community purely for community betterment. They secured a half acre of ground with the intent of building on it, and deeded it to the State Board. Circumstances decreed against their plans and the house was not built. The members were absorbed back into the mother church. In 1927 the State Board sold the property for $75 and put the money into the Permanent Fund.
Spray, in Wheeler co., in October, by G. E. Williams.
Talent, in Jackson co., by W. T. Matlock. For several years this congregation flourished, then many removals caused them to close their house completely.
Bellfountain, in Benton co., January 1.
Creswell, in Lane co., in March.
Evans, in Wallowa co., June 30, by Claude Wingo. A church house was erected and deeded to the State Board. It is not now used.
Wilbur, in Douglas co., September 29, by W. T. Adams.
Corbett, in Multnomah county, September 14, by W. T. Adams. A few years later a "community church" man came into the community and persuaded them to cancel their affiliation with the Christian Church. Accordingly they sent a respectful letter to the State Secretary requesting that their name be taken off the list of churches, which was done. The community idea prevailed for a number of years, but they finally grew away from that idea. When it became apparent that they were again standing for a "Christian only" doctrine the name was restored to the roll. It is a little church
". .... by the side of the road,
Where the stream of men goes by."
Holdman, in Umatilla co., May 25, by A. M. Meldrum.
Kent, in Sherman co., November 16, by A. M. Meldrum. Here is another demonstration of the fact that a church can live and grow if it has a virile internal leadership, notwithstanding the lack of a preacher. For a little more than a year only in its life has this church had a regular preacher. They observe the Lord's Supper every Lord's Day and conduct a Bible School. Occasionally they have a gospel meeting. Yet they have confessions of faith in Jesus. The State Secretary has been called upon to baptize their converts. In 1927 they purchased the Presbyterian meeting house in which they had worshipped since their organization. They plan to erect a comfortable church home some time in the near future.
Liberty Schoolhouse, Morrow co., February 16, by H. A. Van Winkle.
Portland Vernon, Multnomah co., May 8, by J. F. Ghormley. A tabernacle was erected in a good location. After Brother Ghormley finished his work with them J. A. Melton, a layman preacher, carried on the work for a time. It did not succeed and it was dropped. In 1918 R. Tibbs Maxey made an effort to resuscitate the work. The location was soon changed to a hall on Alberta Street. W.E. Lewis, another business man preacher, succeeded Brother Maxey in leadership of the congregation. After consultation with other brethren in the city the little group moved to Englewood district and was organized anew as the Englewood church in 1922.
Rufus, in Sherman co., April 16, by W. F. McCormick.
Rychman, in Lane co., January 19, by E. C. Wigmore.
Trent, in Lane co., December 7, by T. S. Handsaker. This organization was stabilized somewhat by merging with the Dexter congregation.
Fort Rock, in Lake county, May 10, by C. F. Swander and W. T. Matlock. This congregation lived only a short time. But it "found" a most capable and consecrated disciple in the person of George Hockman who lived in a nearby community. After the work at Fort Rock ceased to function he gathered together the people in his own community, Wastina, and conducted a Sunday School and "taught them the way of the Lord more perfectly." He preaches, teaches, and baptizes, thus fulfilling the Great Commission to the letter.
Please Continue Reading by Clicking Here
©1998 Roxann Gess Smith
All Rights Reserved
Return to the Oregon - American Local History Network
Return to the - American Local History Network