ROSTER OF OREGON CHURCHES CONTINUED
Kellogg, in Douglas county, October 25. This effort finally died, but a reorganization was effected in 1925
which endures to the present day.
Latham, in Lane county.
North Bend, in Coos county, April 12, by Samuel Gregg, State Evangelist. For a dozen years this little congregation held up the banner under most discouraging circumstances. Then the tide turned and they came into their own. In 1927, under the leadership of C. L. Fesler, they completely remodeled their house and thus secured one of the best places of worship in the community.
Salem Court Street, in Marion county, August 30. This congregation was formed by a group of people from the First church who believed that Salem was large enough for two churches. Without the leadership of a pastor they purchased a lot on the corner of 17th and Court streets and erected a bungalow, whence it was familiarly known as the "Bungalow Church." In 1922 they built the foundation for a real temple, but financial troubles came and they were never able to complete but one unit. R.L. Putnam served as pastor for about nine years and did a remarkable work.
Donna, in Lane county. This has never been much more than a preaching point for students from Eugene Bible University, but it served well in that respect.
Lexington, in Morrow county, January 10. This is another weak and struggling church that sometimes thinks it is hardly worth while to continue the struggle. Yet this congregation has given to the brotherhood one of its great men, James A. Pointer.
Portland East Side, in Multnomah county, in November, by A. L. Crim. This congregation was the result of, and continuance of, the old Central Church which disbanded on account of financial difficulties. It has occupied the most strategic district in all the city of Portland. Literally hundreds of disciples have passed through its membership. Unfortunately internal disturbances have shaken it at different times and took out from it scores of good workers. Yet it has always recuperated from these ailments and built up again in a creditable manner. Its location from its birth until the spring of 1928 was on East 12th and Taylor streets, when they sold that property and purchased a lot in Laurelhurst. The church will hereafter be known as Laurelhurst Christian Church.
Redmond, in Des Chutes county, May 4, by George Ramsey.
Maupin, in Wasco county.
Sweet Home, in Linn county. This is a little mountain
community. They have fought a good fight--and are
Bend, in Des Chutes county, May 3, by C. F. Swander, State Secretary. A call came to the state office from H. I. McKim, a laundry driver, who was the son of a preacher,
to come over and visit the place. The news of this invitation "leaked out" in Bend, and before the Secretary could respond he had a letter from the Ministerial Association informing him that the community was already overchurched and that his visit was not necessary. He went anyway and, according to the statement of the secretary of the Ministerial body, he found a town of 5,000 population with three English Protestant Churches having a combined membership of about 400 souls. He also found fifty or more "Christians only," 28 of whom he organized into a Church of Christ. A lot was purchased and a little bungalow erected upon it. The work has prospered and demonstrates that the New Testament church will grow in any soil.
Dorena, in Lane county, January 6.
Three congregations belong to this date, but they are found listed previously because they were reorganizations of previous efforts.
Grande Ronde, in Polk county.
Barlow, in Clackamas county, December 31, by Prof. W. R. Baird. That was a Christmas meeting that resulted in this little church.
Portland Englewood, in Multnomah county, February 22, by W. E. Lewis. This church is the legitimate offspring of the Tabernacle Church in Vernon district in previous years, yet it is not the same organization. It was a work of faith, and it is faith that justifies. This little congregation, without any money, bought a lot and ordered lumber for a modest little house. Other brethren in the city helped them to build a church in a day. The church has prospered and it is now engaging in building plans that will equip it splendidly for serving the community.
Fernvale, in Douglas county, June 27, by Francis M. Arant. This was only a logging camp, and when a church was started in Glendale the next year Fernvale graciously ceded all her rights to organization and gave up the ghost. But the effort served its purpose well.
Garibaldi, in Tillamook county, February 23, by George N. Harness. For a number of years Garibaldi had been a mission point from Tillamook.
North Plains, in Washington county, on November 13, by Gottlieb Schmid and C. F. Swander. The real history of this work goes back beyond that. Seven years before O. P. Burris, while pastor of the Forest Grove church, had made this a preaching station but had not deemed it ready for organization.
Orleans, in Linn county. This congregation was formed by a few brethren from the Corvallis church who lived on the opposite side of the river from the mother congregation. It has maintained its name as a church through the communion service and a Bible School.
Vernonia, in Columbia county, December 23, by Gottlieb Schmid and C. F. Swander. This church owes its existence to a consecrated woman more than to anything else. Mrs. Ethel Ray was a school-teacher in Vernonia who had been reared in the New Testament faith and she could not get away from it, though she let her light shine constantly through another religious body as a channel of service. She persistently kept track of disciples as they came into the community. A group of them asked the State Secretary to help them. He sent Gottlieb Schmid to hold a meeting
for them. The work has grown amazingly and is destined
to become one of the brightest lights in Columbia county.
Glendale, in Douglas county, January 13, by Francis
Arant. This church is really the continuance of the Fern-
vale church previously noted. It has not prospered greatly.
In the beginning persecution was bitter and some of the
best workers moved away. But a small group keeps open
house and there are hopes for a brighter future.
Joseph, in Wallowa county, by M. L. Petelle and Gareld
Newport, in Lincoln county, December 10, by J. B. Hoag.
Brother Hoag was an aged minister from Ohio who had
come to Newport in behalf of his wife's health. He re-
mained the pastor of the church until his death. From the
beginning the congregation occupied the Baptist church
house. The Baptists had permanently given up the field.
The desire of the Baptists to sell the property, and the
seeming inability of the Church of Christ to purchase it,
caused a lack of confidence as to the permanency of the
new congregation. The State Secretary visited them and
persuaded them that they could buy it and assisted them
in securing title to the property. Immediately the body
commenced to grow.
Alpine, in Morrow county, December 18, by Wallace E. Jones.
Mehama, in Marion county, June 28, by Merle Applegate and G. W. Hay.
Portland Rosepark, in Multnomah county, in July, by
F. A. Ware. This work had its inception in an effort of R. Tibbs Maxey some months before to establish the cause in Rose City Park. Finding insuperable difficulties to that project he moved out to an abandoned building at the end of Sandy Boulevard and for some weeks preached regularly. In July of 1925 F. A. Ware held a meeting for this unorganized congregation and gave them existence as a church. They disbanded in 1927.
Seaside, in Clatsop county, October 18, by F. A. Ware.
Curtin, in Douglas county, February 7, by T. M. White. Powers, in Coos county, in June, by Teddy Leavitt. The struggle for existence for this little congregation in a lumbering town was hard. In the early part of 1928 they made a union with other religious forces in the community.
Glide, in Douglas county, in January, by Henry Toogood.
Pine City, in Morrow county, February 2, by Eldon L. Wood.
Portland, Ruby Park, in Multnomah county, February 27, by D. P. Harriman. This congregation was formed by a group of people from the Montavilla church who went out as a result of internal disturbance. They maintained public worship for some time before they resorted to a separate organization. They continued in the capacity of a church until February 2, 1928, when they merged with the East Side church and became an integral part of that congregation.
Svenson, in Clatsop county, June 6, by G. W. Hay.
Warrenton, in Clatsop county, March 7, by G. W. Hay.
McGlynn, in Lane county, on March 11, by Earl C. Chandler.
From a careful perusal of this list (which must be incomplete) it is seen that the cause has been organized in more than 300 communities in the last fourscore years. Nearly 200 of them have given up the ghost. Some of them were reborn; some of them have passed out of memory except for the name in some obscure report; and some of them lived and prospered from the time of their birth. These church deaths do not mean a decay of the cause. Many of them did their work for their day and their demise is no more to be mourned than the going on of a good man who has lived well his allotted time in this world. In a few cases the loss may well be mourned.
In using this chapter as a reference the reader must not be confused when he does not find a certain church listed in the year in which he knows it was organized. The facts are that the year he has in mind was a second, perhaps a third, organization in that community. The rule followed in this chapter is to list the church in the year when it was first organized, and make mention there of its final organization. This policy may seemingly depreciate the evangelistic work of certain years in recent times--years that were exceedingly active in organization work, yet the record here apparently does not indicate it for the reason stated above. In order that the reader may the more readily locate a church in this chapter we are here giving a complete alphabetical list of churches with reference to the year in which it will be found in the chapter.
©1998 Roxann Gess Smith
All Rights Reserved
Return to the Oregon - American Local History Network
Return to the - American Local History Network