ROSTER OF OREGON CHURCHES CONTINUED
Harris Bridge, location unknown.
Salt Creek, in Polk county. Only an obscure reference gives this church a place in the record.
Upper Muddy, probably in Lane county.
There is a long silence during these years. It could not have been a silence of activity and church organization, but a silence of records. Those pioneers were too busy making history to write it. Nowhere have we been able to locate data concerning churches during this time. Much to our regret we must pass over it. It is the belief of the author that some of the churches listed later on belong in reality to this period. But the historian cannot record events according to his beliefs. He must list them according to the best information.
Halsey, in Linn county. This church still lives and has had a part in kingdom affairs beyond the natural expectations for a small village church, most notable of her contributions to the kingdom was the gift of Goldie Ruth Wells to mission work in Africa. She has also sent out young men into the ministry of the Lord. When the roll of churches is called up there Halsey will be among those of whom it will be said, "For from you hath sounded forth the word of the Lord."
Independence, in Polk county, was organized on April 4. This church still lives. It has passed through deep waters many times, but always there have been the faithful few who kept the light burning.
Elkton, in Douglas county, was organized in the month of December. For many years the banner of the church floated over this community. Then the cause weakened and died. The burning of the church building in later years was the final blow. It was finally reorganized in September, 1925, and continues to this day.
Yamhill, formerly known as North Yamhill, was organized in the month of July. The congregation still lives and has had an existence that they may well be proud of.
Drain, in Douglas county, was organized in the month of August. This small church has demonstrated that a pastor can be kept in a small village. Under the leadership of Dr. T. M. White in recent years it has had a remarkable history.
Portland First, in Multnomah county, was organized on February 9. This church was the first missionary objective the Christian Church ever had in the state. The beginning days were difficult and slow, but now they have a membership of more than 1,200 souls, with a property that is worth $150,000.
There is no record of church organization this year.
Helix, in Umatilla county, in the month of April.
Junction City, in Lane county. This congregation has been helpful to the kingdom in a material way.
Stayton, in Marion county, was organized in March. This church has made a good record.
Fairview, in Lane county.
Liberty, location unknown. The nation loves to honor the graves of its unknown dead. Christians should honor the names of these unknown churches---unknown except in name.
Springfield, in Lane county. This congregation has made steady progress during the years.
Trent, in Lane county. It died and was resurrected by T. S. Handsaker on December 7, 1913.
Albany, in Linn county. This is one of the important county seat towns in the state, and the church has kept pace with the town.
Brownsville, in Linn county. It is still doing a good work.
Carlton, in Yamhill county, in the month of July. The church still lives and is active.
Corvallis, in Benton county, in the month of October. Corvallis is the seat of the Oregon Agricultural College, and is, therefore, an important locality. The church has made a consistent effort to reach the college folk with a reasonable degree of success. It would appear from historical records that the organization at this time did not maintain permanently, for the organization that flourishes today bears the birth date of February, 1890, at which time an auxiliary to the C. W. B. M. was organized in the home of W. W. Bristow. The church organization
was not effective until October 15, 1891.
Clackamas, in Clackamas county.
Coquille, in Coos county. At the present time this is our leading congregation on Coos Bay.
Crawfordsville, in Linn county. This is purely a rural community. The church has been disbanded and reorganized many times. It is not now living.
Forest Grove, in Washington county, in the month of
September, by Peter R. Burnett. It is strong and virile
to this day.
Gaston, in Yamhill county.
Hedrix, location unknown.
Mt. Pleasant, location unknown.
Oak Creek, location unknown, probably in Linn county.
Oretown, location unknown. Its name would indicate a mining camp. If so it would probably be somewhere in the mountains.
St. Helens, in Columbia county. This organization did not survive long. For many years the cause was dormant. A love for the place was cherished in the heart of Sister Perkins, of Drain, which caused her to pledge $200 for the establishment of the work there again. G. W. Hay, pastor at Astoria, accepted the challenge and laid siege to it in August and September, 1927. After six weeks' effort, in which he was assisted by J. F. Cunningham, of Beaverton, a church was organized of 85 members. It is now a promising work.
Hood River Valley, in Hood River county, in the month of September. This is purely a rural community and this was thc first Christian Church organized in that Valley. It still lives and sees the work organized in two other places in the valley.
Medford, in Jackson county, November 22. It is now one of the largest churches in southern Oregon. It was the author's pleasure to deliver the memorial sermon at their 40th anniversary.
No organizations on record for this year.
Milton, in Umatilla county. This church has had a wonderful career and has become one of the strong churches in the state.
East Portland, in Multnomah county. This was the second effort to establish the work in Portland. L. F. Stephens and H. B. Morgan were prominent in the attempt. It disbanded on July 3, 1895.
Holly, in Linn county. This was another rural church, disbanded and reorganized many times. It is not now living, but the old church building stands and there is an occasional service in it. In the shifting of communities this neighborhood is served quite well by the churches at Sweet Home, Lebanon and Brownsville.
Perrydale, in Polk county. This, too, is a rural community, but one that has demonstrated the possibility and wisdom of rural organizations. Though small they have always had a staunch clientele.
Silverton, in Marion county. It is now recognized as one of the strong churches in the state. Though situated in a community that is strongly Catholic and foreign the church has entrenched itself strongly.
Grants Pass, in Josephine county, in the month of
January. It is now one of our strong congregations in
Prineville, in Crook county. It did not long survive this organization. The records show that Dillard Holman reorganized them in 1890 or 1891. Their building burned in 1927 which completely caused the assembling to cease. The church lives in name only.
Roseburg, in Douglas county, on May 26, in the home of C. A. Schlbrede, with 14 charter members. For seven years the congregation did without a minister while struggling with a debt, but during that time they never failed to spread the Lord's table. The church is now reckoned in the front rank of Christian churches in the state. They erected a new building in 1928 which was dedicated on April 29.
Wasco, in Sherman county. This is another church in a small community that has not ceased to survive through all vicissitudes.
Cottage Grove, in Lane county. The writer heard it said of this church once that it was the most spiritual church in the state. Whether or not the statement be 100 per cent true it speaks well of a congregation that makes such an impression on people.
Halfway, Baker county, on December 26. This is a rural community, for many years isolated from civilization nearly 60 miles from a railroad. Now it has a road within 12 miles. There have been times when the Cause swept the entire valley. There are still many members scattered about who do not affiliate. The Christian Church has made a tremendous impress on Pine Valley, as the community is known.
La Grande, in Union county. La Grande is one of the important towns in East Oregon. The church has grown apace with the town and, at this writing, is drawing plans for a new building that will adequately house a growing work.
Thurston, in Lane county, on April 6. For most of its life it has been a student point. It may seem to some of these rural churches that they haven't amounted to much in thc kingdom; but, if they would only stop to count up the number of preachers they have made, they would think otherwise. Many of these student points have really made a larger contribution to the kingdom in their preparation of preachers than have some of the larger churches.
The following names appear first on the list in 1891. Without doubt some of them were organized earlier, but there is no data by which we can exactly locate them. We give them here as the best effort to locate them:
Athena, in Umatilla county. This is a small community, but the church reached considerable proportions at one time. The removal of many of the members has left the church weak in members though it still remains faithful to the cause.
Abiqua, in Marion county. (See Abaca in 1857). The Abiqua Creek (Alberqua on the present day maps) flows a short distance from Scotts Mills. It is likely that the Abiqua Church merged into the Scotts Mills church of
later date and thus lost its identity.
Blockhouse, in Morrow county.
Canyonville, in Douglas county.
Cheshire, in Lane county.
Coburg, in Lane county. It was reorganized in 1903 and is doing splendid work today.
Currinsville, in Clackamas county. This is near Estacada and probably lost its identity in that church at a later date.
Eagle Creek, in Clackamas county.
Eightmile, in Morrow county. This has been a preaching point many times since its disbandment, but the church
has been gone for many years.
Fir Grove, in Lane county.
George Hall, in Union county.
Gold Hill, in Jackson county.
Hadleyville, in Lane county. This has been an occasional preaching point for students from Eugene Bible University.
Jasper, in Lane county. It was reorganized in 1905.
Leaburg, in Lane county.
Long Tom, in Lane county.
Lorane, in Lane county. This church died as an organized body, but it was restored as an active preaching point in 1926 and was fully reorganized as a church October 30, 1927.
Lost Valley, in Lane county.
Mabel, in Lane county.
Mill City, in Linn county. This church soon died, but in July, 1926, Teddy Leavitt held a meeting that resulted in the organization of a church of nearly 200 members. It is now a flourishing church.
Molalla, in Clackamas county. A small "anti" congregation exists there now.
Monroe, in Benton county.
Monitor, in Marion county.
Oakland, in Douglas county. It was reorganized in 1908. It has had many experiences as a church. They once went into a "federation" but a faithful few refused to federate. It was some years before they fully recovered from the experiment, but they are now a strong country church.
Pendleton, in Umatilla county. It was born in the month of August. It is situated in one of the fine towns of
eastern Oregon and is one of our strong churches.
Point Terrace, in Lane county.
Sycamore, in Multnomah county.
South Springs, in Morrow county.
Sand Ridge, in Union county.
Union Hill, in Marion county.
Walton, in Lane county.
Canby, in Clackamas county. It has been reorganized a number of times. In 1917 the State Secretary found its light almost gone. He held a meeting, set them in order and located a pastor. They were faithful until the "flu ban" struck a year later. They did not recover from that. In 1925 the Eugene Bible University took title to their property for the consideration of putting it in repair. It then became an active preaching point for students again.
Dufur, in Wasco county, in the month of July. This has been a strong congregation in its day. Dufur was once the center of a growing fruit section. Commercial reverses came that took out a large portion of the population and the strength of the church was cut proportionately. However, the church still burns its light brightly.
Falls City, in Polk county, in the month of March. Falls City has been a lumber town. It has always been a live village and the church has kept pace with the community. For the most part it has been ministered to by students and they have acquitted themselves well.
The Dalles, Wasco county. This church was organized by J. W. Jenkins, one of the pioneer ministers of Eastern Oregon. It has become a strong church.
Tillamook, in Tillamook county. For many years the New Testament plea has had a strong hold in Tillamook. The congregation has not been strong financially, and beeause of that they have struggled bravely under a huge debt. They have a good building and have made progress.
Please Continue Reading by Clicking Here
©1998 Roxann Gess Smith
All Rights Reserved
Return to the Oregon - American Local History Network
Return to the - American Local History Network