ECHO, OREGON




Named for Echo Koontz. The family was among the first to settle there about 1880. Fort Henrietta was also located there.





Historic Buildings at Echo, Oregon ==== Masonic Lodge at Echo, Oregon

=======
Church at Echo, Oregon======== Echo, Oregon Cemetery



A Look Back at Echo in 1882

This is the name of new town growing up on the line of the O.R. & N. Co., eighteen miles towards Pendleton from Umatilla. It is on the bank of Umatilla River, opposite the old Indian agency which was established in 1851 and destroyed by Indians in 1855. This point was formerly known as Brassfield's Ferry, on the old emigrant road.

A fine Howe truss bridge has been built across the river at this place by the county. The town was laid out in the spring of 1881, and a store, saloon, blacksmith shop, and feed stable were at once constructed. Later the same year a hotel and a fine school house were built.

J.H Koontz of Umatilla, is proprietor of the town, and has this summer erected a large warehouse. Echo City now contains two general stores, a drug store, a hotel, two saloons, a livery stable, two blacksmith shops, a boot and shoe shoe, school house, warehouse, post office, railroad station, and a population of fifty or sixty people. It is surrounded by by many fine farms, and has tributary to it a large extent of excellent agricultural land, the greater portion of which is but just being developed. The future of Echo City as a business town and a forwarding and receiving point for freight is bright.

From "Historic Sketches of Walla Walla, Whitman, Columbia, and Garfield Counties, Washington Territory and Umatilla County, Oregon," by Frank T. Gilbert, Portland, Oregon 1882

ECHO IN 1922



Return to Main Umatilla, Oregon Index Page
WEBSITE CONTRIBUTED BY PATRICIA NEAL