The Churches of Schuyler Co., Missouri
Provided by Marilyn Foreman
Of The Schuyler County Genealogical Society


DENOMINATION
NAME OF CHURCH
LOCATION
DATE ORGANIZED
OTHER
Assembly of God Baptist
Glenwood Assembly of God
Glenwood City
April '72
By Pastor & Mrs. Robert Boyd
(blank)
First Baptist Church of Downing
Downing City
Aug. 1st., 1885
(Successor to Cherry Grove Baptist Church, which had been dissolved.)
(blank)
Lancaster Baptist
Lancaster City
(blank)
(blank)
blank
New Harmony Freewill Baptist
Approx. 3 mi. W. of Greentop (Rural)
12/10/1889 16 members
1893 161 members, 1972 56 Res. & 48 non-res. members
blank
Pleasant Grove Baptist
blank
blank
blank
blank
Queen City Baptist Church
3 mi. east of Queen City
3/23/1880
blank
blank
South Prairie Baptist Church (Reorganized as the Queen City Baptist Church
3 mi. east of Queen City
9/08/1910
New bldg. dedicated, Dec. 1912
blank
Valley View Baptist Church
blank
blank
blank
blank
Fabius Baptist Church
East of Lancaster S. of #136
1841
First church was log house - 2nd was frame bldg. which burned. Present Bldg. - 1902. Has well kept cemetery w/Perpetual Care
blank
Coatsville Baptist Church
blank
blank
blank
Catholic
Schuyler Co. Catholic Community
5 mi. SW of Lancaster on Rt. (Old 63)
blank
Services held at Old New Hope M.E. Church
blank
blank
8 mi. SE of Lancaster N. of Downing
blank
Commonly known as the MUDD Church
Christian
Antioch Christian Church
S. 17, T. 65, R. 15
1858
Antioch Church sold & proceeds divided between Queen Cty. and Jimtown Christian Chs. (Excelsior, Oct. 1929)
blank
Coffey Christian Church
South of Downing Land donated by Mary Coffey
1880
Active church - well kept cemetery
blank
Darby Christian Church
North of Lancaster - New bldg. in 1912
1869
No longer active - but well kept bldg. & cemetery. Many members attend Lancaster Chris.
blank
Downing Christian Church
City of Downing, S. of Rt. 136
Aug. 1883
Active - Bldg. 1885 - basement 1852 remodeling w/extra classrooms etc; 1966
blank
Glenwood Christian Church
City of Glenwood
1871, 1878, 1888-89
Congregational denom. Presbyterian Denom. Christian Denom. New Bldg. at present loc. 1953-58.
blank
Greentop Christian Church
City of Greentop
1877
Centenniel - 11/06/1977, Bldg. 1890 Annex & imp. 1953 - Remodeling 1966, Rededication 1974
blank
Independence Christian Church
5 1/2 mi. SW of Downing
Feb. 1904
113 mem. 1905-1922. Church & contents sold Proceeds to Christian Orphans Home in Louis - No record aft. 1922.
blank
Downing Community Christian
blank
blank
Split from Downing Christian Church listed above.
blank
Lancaster Christian Church
Lancaster City, 1 Blk. W. of Square
8/10/1847
Ded. of Bldg. Torn down aft. R.R. blt. New bldg. 1880-1914. Present Bldg. ded. 6/14/1914
blank
Queen City Christian Church
Queen City, City St.
March 1890
Met in M.E. Ch. 1 yr. Bldg. occ. 1/5/1892 - Remod. in 1924
Church of God Holiness
Coatsville Holiness Church
M.E. Church reloc. at present site W. of R.R.
11/02/1909 (Dedication)
Several improv. and remodel. during the yrs.
blank
Downing Church of God (Prophecy)
Downing City
1/18/1963
Purchased bldg. from Presbyterian Church.
blank
Mount Carmel Holiness Church
Near Coatsville
March to Oct. 1998
See Note #1 Below
blank
Church of God Holiness of Queen City
Ten in Park 1889, Old M.E. Church, 1897
1869-70, Union Church
See Note #2 below
Community Churches
Brushy Union
Brushy School 55-63
8/21/1955
Land for church deeded from Mary Crabtree. 1st ser., Good Friday evening 1963.
blank
Lynn Grove Union Church
Log cabin 1/2 mi. S. Cemetery
1838
See Note #3 Below
Lutheran
St. John's Lutheran Church
7 mi. NE of Queen City, (Rural) Area known as Germania.
Present Church Blt. in 1904.
See Note #4 Below.
St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Queen City
See Note #5 Below.
See Note #5 Below.
See Note #5 Below.
Mennonite
blank
blank
blank
blank
Methodist Episcopal
Bethel Church & Cemetery
Half-way between Glenwood & Queen City (1/2 m. N. of Julesburg.)
1838
See Note #6
blank
United Methodist Church of Downing
Downing City
1884
See Note #7
blank
Glenwood Methodist Episcopal (name changed to - United Methodist Church)
Glenwood
1870
See Note #8
blank
Germania Methodist Church
1 Sq. Acre SE corner SE 1/4 of NW 1/4 of NW Qtr. S. 9, T. 65, R14
June 8th, 1869
See Note #9
blank
Greentop Methodist Episcopal Church
Greentop City, Lot 6, Blk. 5, Colorado City (Addition)
1870
This description also site of present church.
blank
Greentop Methodist Church
blank
1936
Methodist Episcopal and Methodist S. churches united as Methodist Church.
blank
United Methodist Church
blank
1969
Methodist Church & United Brethern Church merged to become United Methodist Church.
blank
Lancaster United Methodist Church
Lancaster City, Washington St., (Hwy. #136 & Linn St., W. of St.)
1848
See Note #10
blank
United Methodist Church
blank
1969
Methodist Church & United Brethern Church merged to become United Methodist Church.
Methodist
New Hope United Methodist Church (Lancaster Charge)
Approx. 5 mi. S. & a little W. of Lancaster, S.11, T. 65, R. 15
3/18/1857
See Note #11
blank
Methodist Episcopal Church
Queen City
1861-65
See Note #12
blank
Trinity United Methodist Church
blank
blank
blank
Presbyterian
Presbyterian Church of Downing
Downing City
6/30/1893
See Note #13


* Undenominational: Body of Christ Church, Greentop Good Shepherd Church, Greentop New Harmony Church, River of Life Church, (no additional information).




Note Number 1: (Furniture and seats given to Holiness Church at Coatsville, Mo.) Founded by Mary Ann Rippey Hombs - last mettings held in 30's. Bldg. torn down in 1943 and sold for $100. Money used for upkeep of Mary Ann Rippey cemetery.

Note Number 2: Founded by Rev. W.B. Stevens, who was Pastor for its entire existence. He was well known and noted composer of religious songs, "Further Along" was the best known.

Note Number 3: 1855 Decision to build a church - each male member to donate 50 cents annually from 11/04/59. New frame church 1860. Church fell in before 1900 - services again held in school house for a few years.

Note Number 4: First church built in 1867, present church built in 1904. Church services were held originally in both German & English, and early records were in German.
The Germania Cemetery, established in 1859 to serve the congregations of the "German Lutheran" and "German Methodist" Churches is located East of the church - and is under perpetual care and well maintained. The location of the church and cemetery, in a scenic setting of rolling, timbered land, has caused it to be called the "Church in the Wildwood" - an appropriate appellation.
The "county-wide" Bicentenniel Church service was held here, in an open air setting - which was widely attended.

Note Number 5: 1889 - Organized - but not active. 1892 - Reorganized but became inactive. 1905 Organized a 3rd time. 9/04/1907 a new church building - 50th anniversary in 1957 - Sunday School until 1959 - disbanded. Aug. 1962, donated building to the Methodist congregation of Queen City.

Note Number 6: Land donated by Jefferson Fulcher who also gave an acre of ground for a cemetery in 1842. In 1867 a new church was built. Baptism was in the Chariton River, 5 or 6 miles West of Bethel - following "camp" meetings at which many denominations were represented. Note: The Bethel Church was disbanded.

Note Number 7: First building served Baptist & Methodist congregations, which was used by 4 denominations. About 1900 Baptist Church bought their share of the building. 1955 Church remodeled. 1966 New addition added. 1968 New organ & piano purchased and church dedication ceremony held in 1968.

Note Number 8: Dedication 2/12/1871. Jan. 1900 New building planned. Built by Spencer Mitchell -- date unknown. 1968 also Parsonage. (old parsonage was sold in 1952 -- proceeds used for basement and other improvements. (Lancaster-Glenwood-New Hope Charge)

Note Number 9: Deeded direct to Trustees Geo. T. Wilkey, B.T. Wilkey, Jacob Avery, John M. Coons, Phillip Beeler (Did not belong to conference). 1/22/1908 Pledges given to raise money to build church. 3/09/1959 - Letter from J.W. Ward, Kirksville Dist. M.E. Church sending final papers for disposition of church and land. Note on reverse of letter indicates transferred land to the cemetery (Germania) and sold building - Seats sold to New Hope Church (Lamps and bell were stolen). Note Number 10: 1848 Lancaster Charge appears as appointment. 1888 Church erected on present site - dedicated Dec. 1889. 1911-1914, New church built (present structure) Dedicated on May 24, 1914.

Note Number 11: 3/18/1857 1st. Deed recorded Bk. 4, P. 552 *Again recorded Aug. 26, 1881, Bk. 22 P. 592. *1st church of New Hope M.E. Church South was burned during the Civil War. New Hope Methodist Church South was made a member of Circuit which included Bethel M.E. Church South, Trinity M.E. Church South - one pastor serving all 3 churches - parsonage at Queen City. M.E. Church at Queen City disbanded - church at New Hope torn down and the Queen City Church moved to United Methodist Church. Structurally building remains same, but much improvement and repair and in 1959 Annex was anned to the south end of provide more space. (During years the church was transferred to the Downing Circuit - but is now a member of the Lancaster, Glenwood, New Hope Circuit. UPDATE, 1989 - The church no longer has an assigned pastor, but has sunday school and church twice monthly, with lay speakers or visiting ministers. The church building is also used by the Catholic Community - and this group helps out by a monthly contribution for expenses, etc.

Note Number 12: 1861-65 Trying days of Civil War. 1871, Frame building in Q.C. site of present brick building. Old church sold to Holiness Church. 1898 New brick church dedicated in 1898. Queen City was head of the Charge - associated with Pleasant View & Germania and sometimes Glenwood. Now included with Greentop

Note Number 13: Work on church started in fall of 1890 - Occupied May next year Sunday school organized July 1897. Church building was sold to the Church of God Prophecy on Jan. 18, 1963.




Schuyler County, Missouri History and Genealogy

Missouri Index at gesswhoto.com

Olden Daze Genealogy