The Morning Oregonian
Jan. 01, 1916

Association Is Organized to Construct Vista House on
Crown Point as Memorial to Pioneers

Structure to Be Built of Concrete and Glass, to Be Used as Rest-House for Thousands of Tourists - It Will Provide Inspiring Views of Highway

Vista House is to serve two splendid purposes.
It will complete the most picturesque scenic highway in the world.

Please Click Here To View The Completed Project.




It is to perpetuate the heroism and red-blooded purposes of the pioneers who were stopped at the east end of the gorge of the Columbia River and were compelled to float past the barrier that only now has been opened to wheel travel.

It is to be a beautiful structure of concrete, steel, copper and glass, and a resthouse for the hundreds of thousands of tourists who will make use of the Columbia River Highway during the coming Summer. And it will occupy the highest point reached by the drive, where for 35 miles in easterly or westerly directions the traveler may drink in views of the wonderful combinations of color and of form.

The plans for Vista House call for an octagonal building, approached by a series of wide steps which completely surround the structure. Wide entrances on four sides admit visitors to an interior where comfortable seats will entice a restful hour.

Memorial windows and wall panels will tell the story of the development of Oregon, from the days of Indian inhabitation to the period of history when a progressive people discovered that the most wonderful scenic district of American was lying undeveloped at their front door, and immediately appropriated $1,250,000 to secure a glimpse of it. The tablets will provide a study in themselves, and to the stranger will relate some of the splendid incidents of the early history of Oregon.

Stairways will ascend to a mezzanine floor or gallery in the interior of the building, from which an outside gallery may be reached. The promenade adds distance to the views.

From the main floor stairs lead to a basement, where comfort stations are to be installed. A tunnel will connect the basement floor with the highway on the lower side of the hill.

The total cost of Vista House is to be $20,000, and it is proposed to raise a large proportion of the money through public subscription. The highway itself was constructed from money raised through a bond issue. Vista House will be the first opportunity the public has had to help the magnificent scheme and at the same time do something toward a lasting and perpetual remembrance of the pioneers.

It is a worthy and a splendid memorial. It will be the finishing touch to the greatest scenic asset of the Northwest.

The officers and original membership of Vista House Association are:

H.L. Pittock, president; W.E. Conklin, vice-president; William J. Piepenbrink, secretary; Adolphe Wolfe, treasurer; Julius L. Meier, Samuel C. Lancaster, O.M. Clark, J.C. Ainsworth, Amos S. Benson, John B. Yeon, C.C. Colt, William F. Woodward, H.R. Albee, Frank C. Riggs, George E. Hardy, Charles F. Berg, J.C. English, George L. Baker, E.E. Coovert, F.E. Taylor, H.C. Campbell, C.C. Overmire, F.W. Robinson, Rufus C. Holman, Mark Woodruff, J.H. Dundore, Fred Spoeri, William Whitfield, W.D. Whitcomb, N.G. Pike, Joseph P. Jaeger, R. Blaine Hallock, J.H. Joyce, George H. Himes, W.H. Barton, Ira L. Riggs, Paul Chamberlain, W.J. Hofmann, Marshall N. Dana, F.B. Norman, William C. Tunks, Aaron Frank, L.R. Alderman, D.A. Dinsmoor, J.E. Werlein, L.A. Spangler, J.W. Brewer and Lee Arnett.


2000 Roxann Gess Smith
All Rights Reserved


..... Return to the 1916 Morning Oregonian Index
..... Return to "A Place Called Oregon"