KENTUCKY ARCHIVES CONTINUED
"Estill's Station: Settled by Captain James and Samuel Estill, three
miles southeast of Richmond, Madison County, in 1781.
Estill and his men were defeated and slain by Indians March 22, 1782,
on Hinkston Creek 2 miles from present Mt. Sterling. There were nine
families in the station April, 1801, and in the autumn of that year
the men living there were:
James and Samuel Estill Nicholas Proctor
Thomas Warren David Lynch Peter Walker John Colefoot James
Proctor George Robinson Samuel Rice Thomas Miller *David Gass
Michael Sherly James Hamilton and Green Clay. Jesse Hodges Peter
Hackett Micael Bedinger John Webber Stephen Hancock John South
Sr. were also there at different times. Ref.: Kentucky Historical
Register, Fayette and Bourbon County depositions."
Historical Markers and Tablets, The D.A.R. Fort Boonesborough Marker, Tablet #111:
"In testimony of the gratitude of posterity for the historic service of cutting for the Transylvania Company. The Transylvanic Trail, the first great pathway to the West, March-April 1775 from the Long Island of Holston River Tennessee to Otter Creek Kentucky by that gallant band of Axemen Pioneers and Indian fighters who at the risk and loss of life opened the doors of destiny to the white race in Kentucky and the West.
Daniel Boone Squire Boone Edward Bradley James Bridges William Bush Richard Callaway Samuel Coburn Jacob Crabtree Benjamin Culbirth *David Gass John Hart William Hays Rebeccah Boone Hays William Hicks Edmund Jennings Thomas Johnson John Kennedy John King Thomas McDowell Jeremiah McPheeters William Miller William Moore James Noll James Peeke Bartlett Searcy Michael Stoner Samuel Tate Samuel Tate, Jr. William Twetty John Wardeman Felix Walker A Negro Man and a Negro Woman.
Erected by The Daughters of the American Revolution of North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee and Kentucky, Under the Auspices of the Transylvanians of Henderson, Kentucky, 1935."
Historical Markers and Tablets, The D.A.R. Fort Boonesborough Marker; On the top of the stone is the following;
"Site of Fort Boonesborough, 1775-1783." On the side next to the entrace is this inscription: "In Memory of the Pioneers of Kentucky. Erected by the Boonesborough Chapter D.A.R., 1907." Then passing around the stone counter clock-wise appear the names of the following: "Bartlett Searcy, Robert Rodes, Pemberton Rollins, Michael Stoner, Peter Taylor, Thomas Tribble, Col. Isaac Shelby, Lt. Jared Williams, *Capt. Archibald Woods, Rev. Jas. Quisenberry, Christopher Harris, Richard Gentry, Galen White, Enoch Smith, James McMillan, Sr., Daniel Boone, Rebecca Boone, Jeimima Boone, Squire Boone, William Bentley, Col. Richard Callaway, Betsy Callaway, Frances Callaway, Adam Caperton, Gen. Green Clay, Capt. John Holder, Col. John Snoddy, Capt. John Kennedy, Capt. William Bush, David Chenault, Capt. James Estill, Samuel Estill, Col. Ezekial Field, Col. Nathaniel Hart, Col. Richard Henderson, Dr. Hines, Richard Hogan, *Capt. David Gass, Col. Wm. Irvine, Abraham Newland, Jesse Oldham, Yelverton Peyton, Anne Cuffey Peyton, Thomas Phelps, Josiah Phelps, George Phelps, Lucy Phelps, John Phelps, Joseph Proctor."
First Baptist Church, Lexington
R-250, Date 29th September, 1789
Trustees of Lexington to Reverend John Gano, Edward Payne,
Thomas Lewis, William Payne, William Stone, Jr., and Elisha Winters
in trust and for the sole use of the Baptist Church holding the doctrines
and maintaining the discipline set forth in the Baptist confession of faith,
accepted by a number of Churches in London and the country adjacent in the
year 1643, and by the Baptist Association met in Philadelphia September the
25th, 1742, and in 1785 by the ministers and messengers of the several churches
in the District of Kentucky.
R-252, March 19, 1806.
James Beatty appointed in room of Rev. John Gano, deceased; Henry Payne in the
room of Elder William Payne, who has removed to Mason County, and Lewis E. Turner
in the room of Elisha Winter, who has removed out of this State.
Edward Payne, Thomas Lewis, William Stone.
April 11, 1818.
We, the Trustees for a lot of ground in Lexington for the Baptist Society, do hereby
appoint Richard Gray in the place of Edward Payne, deceased, and James Fishback in the
place of Thomas Lewis, deceased.
Trustees ... Brice Steele, Abm. S. Drake.
Witnesses ... William Stone, Henry Payne, James Beatty, Lewis E. Turner
1st Baptist Church, Lexington
U-237, 5th May, 1818.
Thomas January and Mary, his wife; Daniel Bradford and Eliza, his wife; John Fowler and
Millicent, his wife, to Benjamin Stout, Mathew Elder, Samuel Ayres and Abraham S. Drake,
a committee appointed by the First Baptist Church of Lexington to purchase a lot
and erect a meeting house thereon.
Located in Bourbon County, near Fayette County line and was build in 1779 by
Col. John Grand and Capt. William Ellis, the military leader of the Traveling Church, for
the use of twenty or thirty families who had come to Bryan Station. A group of sixty
Indians from Byrd's war party attacked it in June, 1780, and burned the fort without
taking prisoners. Forty men from Bryan's went to their relief and found two men named
Stucker and a woman named Mitchell killed. James Ingels, Jr., was born here in November
1779. The fort was rebuilt in 1784 but the Grant family sold to Ingels and moved
away. The site is about 1 1/2 miles from Antioch Christian Church near the border of
Fayette County. Timothy Peyton was shot by Indians about one-half mile away. James
Stark carried him to the fort where he soon died. His name is preserved in "Peyton's Run."
In a letter written by John Grant, founder of Grant's Station, dated April 24, 1780, to
Col. John Todd, delegate at Harrodsburg, he told of those persons who at that time
were living in the fort. A list of the names:
John Tamplin, John Jackson, John VanCleave, George Stucker, Samson Culpeper,
Stufel Stucker, Philip Drake, Christopher Harris, Wm. VanCleave, Manoah Singleton,
Thos. Gilbart, Wm. Liley, Wm. Loving, Robert Harras, Jas. Rowland, Josiah Underwood,
Frederick Hunter, Wm. Morrason, James Gray, Henry Millar, Stephen Murphy,
Michael Stucker, Esmond Lilley, George Stucker (son), John VanCleave (sons), Samson
Hough, Wm. Ellis.
There were six more at the station that he could not "properly call effective," and
about seven he daily expected.
George Summitt later (1784) of Summitt's Station, was living at Grant's in 1780, visited
Sturgus Station on Bear Grass, 1780, and raised a crop of corn there. (Suit Bourbon County).
Built by Capt. John Strode, Clark County, 1779; attacked March 01, 1781. The
pioneer fort was located in Clark County, about two and one-half miles from
Winchester on the Lexington Road and in the northeast corner of the present
junction of said road and the Clintonville road. In 1926 excavations showed
the chimney rocks were still there, covered by the sod.
Residents at the time of siege: Robert Taylor; Jacob Spahr, brother of Mathias;
Old Barney Mitchell - old man stayed about two years, went back to Virginia, and
never returned; Old man John Constant - wounded after Harmors defeat; Frederick
and Benedict Couchman - Frederick died other side of Winchester and Benedict
moved off on Ohio toward Yellow Banks: Capt. Jas. Duncan - afterward lived on
Kennedys Creek; One Baker - two brothers went off one night and didn't hear from
them for 10 to 12 years - went to Blue Ridge; Joe Darks - killed by Indians or
white man out at Mud Licks; Old Man Patrick Mooney, "my father-in-law"; John Hart;
Patrick Donaldson; Joshua Mennet (Bennett); in "ours" was John Kirk "we two"
Clinkenbeards - his brother Wm. was there; Stephen Biles (Boyle); Mathias Spahr;
John Douglas; Jimmy Baithis; Granny West; Joshua Stamper; Dumpford, a Dutchman;
Old Pressley Anderson; John Rice, a school singing master; John Douglass (married
man); John McIntyre; John Hart; Frederick Couchman; Samuel Taylor; John Kirk; he
(John Clinkenbeard) and brother had been ordered to Boonesborough to guard
Tories; Pressley Anderson; Joshua Bennett; James Baithy; Wm. Bennett; Joshua
Baker; --- Baker; ---; Major Geo. M. Bedinger; Stephen Boyle; Isaac Clinkenbeard;
John Clinkenbeard; Wm. Clinkenbeard; Wm. Clinkenbeard, Jr.; Mrs. Wm. Clinkenbeard;
Michael Cassiday; John Constant; Benedict Couchman; Frederick Couchman;
Patrick Donaldson; Polly Donaldson; Mrs. Pat Donaldson; James Duncan; Joseph Dark;
--- Dumphard; John Douglass; Mrs. John Douglass; David Foster; Capt. John Fleming;
John Hart; James Howard; David Hughes; Peter Harper; Mrs. --- Harper; James Harper;
Harper girls (?); --- Judy; Thomas Kennedy; John Kirk; John McIntyre; Barney
Mitchell; Adam Money; James Morgan; John Morgan; Patrick Mooney; Mrs. Patrick
Mooney --- and daughter; Evan Morgan; --- Orchard; Richard Piles; Thomas Parvin;
John Rice; --- Rice; Wm. Rayburn; Geo. Reynolds; (Capt.) John Strode, Sr., Founder;
Mrs. John Strode and children; Joshua Stamper; Mrs. Joshua Stamper; Col. Wm. Sudduth;
Mr. and Mrs. Sconce; Jacob Spahr; Matthias Spahr; Rebecca Spahr; Matthias Spahr, Jr.;
Van Swearingen; Major Thomas Swearingen; Col. Van Swearingen; Swearingen's negro
man; Cuthbert Steel; Enos Terry; --- Tanner; Samuel Taylor; John Taylor; Robert
Taylor; "Granny" West.
Stations founded from strodes:
In Clark County --
Hood's, Rodger's; MontgomeryCounty -- Morgan's, Cassiday's; Fleming County --
Stockton's, Fleming's, Cassiday's.
Ref. for the foregoing Notes: Shane II - Draper Mss. Statement of John Clinkenbeard
Albemarle Company of Militia,
lately in actual service for the defence
and protection of the frontier against the Indians, September, 1758. Hening's Statutes, VII, 203.
James Nevill, Captain John Woods, Lieut. William Woods William Woods, Ensign
David Martin, Ensign Andrew Greer, Sergeant Charles Wakefield, Sergeant William Martin, Sergeant
Samuel Stockton Thomas Jameson Hugh Alexander Robert Poage John Wallace
Adam Gaudylock Michael Woods, Jr. Bartholomew Ramsay Henry Randolph William Stockton
Michael Israel James Kinkead Thomas Harbet Henry Brenton Joshua Woods Alexander Jameson
Daniel Maupin John Maupin William Maupin Matthew Mullins Samuel Woods
William Whiteside Lieut. David Gass Abraham Howard Thomas Grubbs John Cowan George Breckenridge
William Poage William Wakefield William Cartie Charles Hughes Langdon Depriest
Aaron Hughes John Depriest James Glenn James Robertson Charles Crawford John Biggs
John McAnally Robert McWhorter Richard Pryor James Martin Michael Morrison James Morrison
Adam Lackie Alexander McMulen Lawrence Smith Matthias Hughes
Located between Logan's Station and Carpenter's Station.
Destruction of Ruddle's and Martin's Forts in the
Michael D. Meals' Revolutionary War Links
Return to Kentucky Archives
Return to my Homepage