From "A History of Baker, Grant, Malheur and Harney Counties"
Provided by The Grant County Museum




HON. HENRY HALL - There can be no doubt but that Grant county, and the entire state of Oregon as well, owe much to the ability and labors of the prominent citizen of whom we now speak and whom we desire to grant representation in this volume. A pioneer of the earliest days, acquainted with the county from the time the first white men trod its soil, experienced in all the hardships and toil of a pioneer's career, a man that has ever been ready to put his shoulder to the wheel to assist in the progress of the country and that has ever manifested his public spirit through wise acts and worthy achievements, Mr. Hall is eminently fitted to sustain the honors which have come justly to him and to fill the leading position where his fellows have rightly placed him.

Born in Dorset, England, in 1836, he there spent the years of his life until 1856, gaining the excellent training to be had in the schools of his land and acquiring the skill of the husbandman and horticulturist. In 1859 he came to the United States, filled with buoyant hopes and fired by a spirit of progression and energy. His first occupation was operating a dairy for J. Taylor in Polk county, where he continued for two years, and then in company with his brother, William, bought the outfit and removed it to Walla Walla in the fall of 1861. In the hard winter of 1861-62 they lost all their stock, and the spring bringing tidings of the new diggings on Powder river, in compnay with his brother, Thomas Brentz and Napoleon Nelson, Mr. Hall determined to seek his fortune there, and soon was on the ground. He went on to Canyon City, and there commenced mining, which occupied him until 1864. Thomas Brentz and Mr. Hall were the builders of the first log cabin in Grand county, is the opinion of Mr. Hall. After the time in mining, as stated, Mr. Hall and his brother bought the farm where he is living at the present time, four miles west from Prairie City. Their farm contained eight hundred acres, but has been increased to two thousand five hundred acres and is well improved and stocked. In company with his brother, Mr. Hall is still raising cattle and tilling the soil, prosperity having attended his efforts from the beginning. In political matters he has ever been active, and holds with the Republican party. In 1880 the people of the county called him to the office of county commissioner and with satisfaction to all he discharged the functions of that office. From 1882 to 1885 he was state senator and did excellent service in that capacity, holding the chairmanship of the important committee on education, and was also a potent factor in passing the Hygiene bill and the bill against prize fighting. Fraternally Mr. Hall is affiliated with the I.O.O.F., Lodge No. 33, of Prairie City.

Mr. Hall was married in 1870, and has three children, John, Jennie and Egbert. It is interesting that Mr. Hall's sons have, unaided, constructed an electric plant that supplies the house with light, which, even in these days of advanced engineering, is a feat that is very praiseworthy. Mr. Hall believes that Napoleon Nelson was the first man to make a trip to The Dalles with gold dust from the new camp.

Please Click Here To Read The Biography of William Hall