Early in December, 1847, word came here that Dr. Whitman and a number of other citizens had been murdered, and a lot of prisoners taken at Waiilatpu, the mission in the Walla Walla Valley. The next thing Governor Abernethy got Peter Ogden, principal factor of the Hudson's Bay Company, to go up there with goods and try to buy back the prisoners. I offered to go with Ogden, but he had his full complement of men.

Capt. Lawrence Hall's company was one of Colonel Gilliam's regiment, Oregon Volunteers. First lieutenant, Hugh D. O'Bryant; second lieutenant, John Enyart, orderly sergeant, William Sheldon; first sergeant, William Stokes; second sergeant, Frederic H. Ramsay; third sergeant, Thomas R. Cornelius; fourth sergeant, Peter Enyart. The privates, partially, were Abraham Enyart, Samuel Ferguson, Samuel Gothard, John Luibarger, Andrew Laubarger, Gilbert Munden (color bearer), William Walters, Henry M. Stephens, Samuel Y. Cook, John L. Scoggin, Josiah W. Lingenfelter (since changed by law to Luin), John Q. Zackeria, Thomas Kinzie, A. Kinzie, Stephen Cummings, Allen Canaday, Randall Yarber, Anderson Smith, Sherry Ross, Isaac Butler, Noah Job, A. C. Brown, J. J. Garish; P. G. Northrop, Marshall Martin, Thomas Flemming, David Harper, Asa Williams, Albert Stewart, Robert Walker, S. A. Holcomb, John Lousignout.

The company first went to The Dalles in boats, a few at a time. We got there about February 7, 1848. We were all mounted, some of the horses being taken up in the boats, and we drilled a few days at The Dalles. Then we started on the march to the Whitman Mission. We forded Des Chutes River, some 15 miles beyond The Dalles without anything happening to us. Two or three days from there, marching on towards the Umatilla, we met the Indians. This was 10 miles or thereabouts before we reached the Umatilla River, as we marched on the old emigrant road.

We met the Indians then, the Cayuses, Walla Wallas, and perhaps some others. We fought that afternoon, and drove them from the field. We had some men wounded, but none in Captain Hall's company that I remember. I remember that a man by the name of McDonald, and Lieutenant Colonel Waters, and another man by name of Clark Rodgers were wounded. We camped on the field that night, and next day went on to the Umatilla River and camped there. We buried one Indian there, and left the chief who was killed on the field. We went to Fort Walla Walla, now called Wallula; then we went up the Walla Walla River to this Whitman Mission station, Waiilatpu; we covered up the graves of the killed better. Then we built a fort of rails gathered from the farms, set on end and surrounded by trenches. Then we escorted Joseph L. Meek, afterwards Colonel Meek, to the top of the Blue Mountains, as he went to Washington, sent, I think, by Governor Abernethy, to state how things were. Then we scoured the country round looking for property of the mission, and stock taken from it, and the hiding places of the Indians. We found out where the Indians were, and went after them. It was a forced march one day and night, and the next morning we found them. About 9 o'clock a. m. the battle began; fought all day and night and the next day until about 4 o'clock p. m., with nothing to eat in the mean time either. This fight began at Tukannon; we fell back fighting to the Touche River. We drove them at last and killed several of them; we fell back during this time, except at night; but at last turned at the Touchet and drove back the Indians. The command lost several men wounded; two of them, Sergt. Peter Euyart and Private John Lousegiout, belonged to Captain Hall's company; one young man of the command, named Taylor, was mortally wounded.

After the fight was over, we went two or three miles; we were both tired and hungry, and killed a horse and tried to eat it. That night the snow fell about two inches deep on us. We had no tents. We got back to the fort we had built, which we called Fort Waters, and rested awhile. Then we started after the Indians again. We went back along the same line we fell back on before the Indians. We crossed Snake River at the mouth of the Palouse. A detachment was sent up to Spokane for Rev. Walker and Rev. Eels, in charge of the mission there. Returning, we scattered the Indians at a place on Snake River a little below Red Wolf village; killed one, and burned their camp property. Then we came back to the fort again. After scouting around over the country again in different directions, we started for Oregon City, as we supposed, to be discharged. At Des Chutes River, returning, we lost one man, drowned, named Jehu Davis. We stopped near The Dalles a day or two to rest. After that the company did not keep together parts going in different ways. At Oregon City we were told to go, as they did not know whether we would be needed or not. On July 5, 1848, about a month after we arrived at Oregon City we were disbanded by proclamation of the governor.

We were not all armed alike; some had rifles, some muskets, mostly old guns we had brought with us. Some furnished their own arms; others had none, and were furnished by the governor's orders. Most of the soldiers furnished their own horses, but a few did not, and the latter were furnished by the government--provisional. The provisrenal government furnished us provisions as well as they could, but we got a good deal from the Indians.

1, Stephen Allen Holcomb, of West Union, Washington County, Oregon, do swear that I am tho identical person named in the foregoing statement as Private S. A. Holcomb, of Capt. Lawrence Hall's company of Oregon Volunteers; that the statement is true in every particular to my knowledge.


Subscribed and sworn to before me this 26th day of March, 1889, at Vancouver Barracks, Washington Territory.


Notary Public.

We enlisted in the early part of 1848 at a place 14 miles from Portland, Oregon, for the Cayuse war. We started and came by Vancouver, and went to The Dalles. The company first met the Indians at the Des Chutes River and killed several Indians, and several soldiers were wounded. There were other companies at the fight besides Hall's company. The next fight was between Willow Creek and Battle Creek, going up to Waiilatpu the name of the Whitman Mission. Then we went to Wallula (then Fort Walla Walla) to get some ammunition. We then marched to Whitman's station. We fortified ourselves by picketing with rails, having finished burying the dead. We were there about two to three weeks recruiting our horses, which were all tagged down. We marched out and met the Indians at Tukannon; and they drove us back about 20 miles, I guess, to the Touche River. There the Indians quit us. We had, I think, 27 men wounded out of the 156 engaged. We again recruited at Whitman's Station or Mission. Colonel Gilliam came to the conclusion that our time was so near up, and the Indians were out of the country, he would get the governor to discharge us. On his coming back the colonel was accidentally killed. His remains were brought home, but the command then returned to Whitman's Mission. Lieut. Col. James Waters then took command. Then we marched out into the Nez Perce's country, following the Cayuse Indians across Snake River. The Nez Perce Indians told us the Cayuse Indians were clear out of our reach. Then we came back to Whitman's. Sixty-two men of the regiment were detailed to take charge of the fort, and the rest went home. Among the latter were Captain Hall's company. We brought with us all the missionaries from the Spokane Mission, and Spaulding's Mission from among the Nez Perces.

Then we came home to The Dalles. The company was discharged about the 16th of June or July; I can not say which. I was detailed to help take care of these missionaries and did not reach Oregon City until some days after Captain Hall's company was discharged by proclamation; and so, in fact, I never was discharged in person from that day to this.

We furnished ourselves with food. Some took their horses from hereabouts; the rest were mounted on horses caught from the prairies and others captured from the Indians. We furnished ourselves with arms; I took my own gun. The Territory furnished us with ammunition.

Governor Abernethy, Colonel Gilliam, General Palmer, gave a mortgage on the Territory to the president of the Hudson's Bay Company, Douglass, for $50,000 worth of blankets, arms, and ammunition; and as they could not fully supply us from Vancouver we had to go to Fort Walla Walla (now Wallula) for the rest, as I have before stated. We averaged about three blankets to two men throughout the campaign.

On two different occasions we were reduced to eating mule or horse meat. Once was when we were driven back from Tukannon to the Touche River.

I, Albert Stewart, a private in Capt. Lawrence Hall's company of Oregon Volunteers, know the foregoing statement regarding the services of that company, from January until June or July, 1848, is true in every particular.


Subscribed and sworn to before me this 29th day of March, 1848, at Vancouver Barracks, Washington Territory.


Notary Public.

Please Click Here To Continue Reading