GUIDED TOUR OF JOHN DAY & CANYON CITY CONTINUED
108 N. Washington, Canyon City
This is a later example of Flat Front Italianate architecture present in
homes of this era. The house was built in 1882 for John and Jenny Muldrick and
later inhabited by their daughter, Mabel, who was a school teacher in Canyon City
for many years. The house is presently owned by Jim Cauble.
314 E. Main, John Day
This is a bungalow style house built in 1915 by Zickler and Ingle with wood from the
Charles McKrola mill. It was immediately bought by Theron Knox who was a long time
John Day merchant. It is presently owned by Jim and Beth McKrola Spell. This style
was popular from 1900 to 1925 and there are many examples in this area. This one is
particularly attractive because of the Colonial Revival windows, second story balcony,
exposed beams and full length porch on the front elevation. It also has a one story
bay window on the west elevation.
111 S. Canyon Blvd., John Day
Built in 1910, the IXL Boarding House [or Kein House as it was later known] still stands
as an apartment house today, although in a different location. When it was built, its
front elevation faced north and the building was located where the present Mini
Market is now. It is in the Colonial Revival style and has the decorative shingles found
in many of the older homes in this area. It is presently owned by Terry Ritner.
175 N. Canyon Blvd., John Day
Originally built as a residence, this house has been used as medical and dental
offices for many years. It is a two story T-shaped house in the late Gothic Revival style and was built in
1900. Dr. George Gibson presently uses the first floor for his dental practice and rents the second floor
as an apartment.
Please Continue Your Tour By Clicking Here
©1998 Roxann Gess Smith
All Rights Reserved
Return to Grant County, Oregon Home Page
Return to the Oregon - American Local History Network
Return to the - American Local History Network