GUIDED TOUR OF JOHN DAY & CANYON CITY CONTINUED
F.C. Sels Brewery
103 S. Washington, Canyon City
Although destroyed by fire in 1870, this stone building with a false front was rebuilt
immediately after and was saved in the 1898 fire partly because it was built of stone
the second time. The three front bays are covered with iron doors and it originally
had a second story. From 1864 to 1866 Francis C. Sels was Justice of the Peace and in
1866 was Postmaster and later that year became County Treasurer. In 1868 he was a
State Senator, though he was later unseated in an election dispute. He became County
Judge in 1870, right after Joaquin Miller. Sels commanded a company of 44 mounted
volunteers in 1878 during the Bannock Indian War.
Apricot Tree Country Dinner House
One mile west of John Day
Built in the 1880's by the William Luce family and Brother Hope -- who also built the
Adventist Church in John Day -- this is a beautifully restored house with a combination
of many styles including Renaissance Revival, Stick, Victorian, and Colonial Revival. The
interior is in the later Mission style. It is now run by Bud and Bonnie Glimpse as a
restaurant with every detail of a turn of the century dinner house. It has a centrally
located gable and two dormers on the front elevation. Note also the decorative gargeboards
and shingles. The apricot tree in the front yard may be the largest in Eastern Oregon --
hence the name.
110 N. Washington, Canyon City
Very little is known about this one story, wood frame house in the Stick-Eastlake style.
Built in 1879, it has changed hands many, many times with no one family inhabiting it for very
long. I have included it because of the difference in style to many of the other homes in the
area. Note the different roof levels and asymmetrical design. It is presently owned by Mr. Bushong
who lives in Prineville.
Bank Building [Presently unoccupied]
S.W. corner of S.E. Dayton and Highway 26, John Day
Built in 1904, this was always a bank building until recent years. This is a two story, brick building in
the Romanesque style with brick arch voussoirs above the window bays on the first floor. Originally the
building was only one story with only one window on the north side. When enlarged, the facade stone reading
"Bank 1904" was lifted to its present position.
Please Continue Your Tour By Clicking Here
©1998 Roxann Gess Smith
All Rights Reserved
Return to Grant County, Oregon Home Page
Return to the Oregon - American Local History Network
Return to the - American Local History Network