The store, located at the west end of town, is owned by Mark & Elayne Reasoner. The gorcery
section of this store was the original store, owned by Billy Stewart, Bert Cummings,
E.L. Knox, and Theron Knox. New additions were built on in later years.
During the time it was under the ownership of Bert Cummings, there was a service station
and a post office included in the building on the north side.
When the school that was erected behind the Shell Service Station was destroyed by fire in
1905, and during the time the stone building was being constructed in 1924, classes were held above
The Dayville community held some of their Christmas programs above the store, and it
was the community dance hall for many years. This also served as a meeting place for
the American Legion and the American Legion Auxiliary.
Andy Litch, a bachelor, built the first part of the building on the site once occupied
by a saloon. He planned to use it for a store. Lumber was stored in the unfinished
State coaches and freight wagons brought business to the hotel, their drivers and
passengers needing rooms and meals. Their teams were cared for at the barn across
Gladys Munjar was one of the various people to run the hotel. She ran it at least
three different periods and managed the Coffee Cup Cafe during the intervals.
After World War I, Margaret Glover bought the building and Bob Ervin built a sizeable
addition to form the T-shaped building we know now. She moved her business several
blocks east from where she had been running Glover's Cottage to the enlarged hotel
building. She ran Glover's Hotel there until 1927 when she retired from 32 years in the hotel business.
Eugene Roope, a Dayville sheep and cattle rancher, acquired the building through a
mortage and rented it to several managers. When he retired from ranching, he lived in a cabin
behind the hotel.
In 1960, after 17 years there, Aleen Grindstaff sold the hotel to Mr. And Mrs. Shull of
Portland, who operated it until after his death, when she retired due to illness
and died. Since the Shulls' daughters closed the hotel, it has been idle.
The building across the street from the Texaco station was once The Cottage Hotel,
built by Ben Franklin and owned by Mrs. M.E. Glover. In later years Mr. and Mrs.
Ed Chinouth purchased the hotel, and continued to operate it. They built the building
now known as the Blue Mountain Tavern and operated it as a general store until purchasing
the Jones store building which burned May 28, 1968.
The remains of the racing stables are located at the floor of the schoolhouse hill. There
were 8 stalls for the horses and races were held every Sunday on a one-half mile course
on a branch of the South Fork Road. These were built in approximately 1900 by Hi Munjar, Sr.
In 1915, the present church on the hill was built on ground donated by Billy Stewart.
The church was organized on Feb. 01, 1913 in one of the older schools, with 31 persons present.
The present pulpit was built and donated to the church by Floyd Officer, father of Mrs. Murray.
The Community Hall was built in 1920 by shareholders of the community. In earlier years
Bill Peterson gave silent pictures with the piano being played by Vern Shipman.
After World War II, Sam and Rod Martin showed movies in the hall.
Before the gymnasium was built, the hall was used for basketball games, school plays, Christmas programs,
chautauquas, & vaudevilles. During the war, it was used as a box factory.
The old saloon, which stands next to the Chevron station, was built by Misener and Cannon
from Mitchell, who ran it for a few years in the early 1900's. It was later run by Bud Greenwall, Sheffield,
Later, it was turned into a shoe repair shop, and back into a tavern by Otis Mascall.
Dayville's old post office was probably one of the best traveled in the country. Built
in Spanish Gulch, 15 miles west of Dayville, in 1878, the structure was torn down and rebuilt at Calem,
several miles further away. When that community became a ghost town, the building
was again torn down and the lumber used to rebuild at Dayville in about 1900.
©1998 Roxann Gess Smith
All Rights Reserved
..... Return to the Oregon - American Local History Network
..... Return to the - American Local History Network>