Linn county, named in honor of Lewis F. Linn of Missouri, was organized December 28, 1847, 'out of all that territory lying south of Champoeg and east of Benton.' Its southern boundary was established January 4, 1851, giving an area of about 2,000 square miles, of which 256,000 acres are improved. The valuation of farms and buildings for 1879 was over seven millions, of live-stock nearly a million, and of farm products almost a million and a half. The total valuation of assessable property reached to considerably over four million dollars. The population is between twelve and thirteen thousand. This county has three natural divisions, the first lying between the north and south Santiam rivers; the second between Santiam River and Calapooya creek, and the third between Calapooya creek and the south boundary line, each of which has a business centre of its own. Albany, the county seat, founded in 1848 by Walter and Thomas Montieth, named after Albany, N.Y., by request of James P. Millar, and incorporated in 1864, is the principal town in the county, and the centre of trade for the country between the Santiam and Calapooya rivers. It has a fine water-power, and several manufactories, and is the seat of the presbyterian college. The population is 2,000. Brownsville, incorporated in 1874, Lebanon, and Waterloo, each with a few hundred inhabitants, are thriving towns in this section. Scio, in the forks of the Santiam, incorporated in 1866, is the commercial centre of this district, with a population of about 500. Harrisburg, situated on the Willamette River and the Oregon and California railroad, is the shipping point for a rich agricultural region. It was incorporated in 1866. The present population is 500. Halsey, named after an officer of the railroad company, was founded about 1872, and incorporated in 1876. The lesser towns in this county are Pine, Shedd, Sodaville, Tangent, Oakville, Fox Valley, Jordan, Mabel, Miller, Mount Pleasant, and Crawfordsville.