GILLIAM COUNTY

Gilliam county was set off mostly from Wasco, partly from Umatilla, in the spring of 1885. First county officers: commissioners, A.H. Wetherford, W.W. Steiver; judge, J.W. Smith; clerk, Lucas; sheriff, J.A. Blakely; treasurer, Harvey Condon; assessor, J.C. Cartwright. The town site of Alkali, the present county seat, was laid off in 1882 by James W. Smith, a native of Mississippi. First house built in the latter part of 1881, by E.W. Rhea.

J.H. Parsons, born in Randolph co., Va., came to Cal. in 1857, overland, with a train of 30 wagons led by Capt. L. Mugett, and located in San Jose Valley, where for twelve years he was a lumber dealer. in 1869 he went to British Columbia and was for 8 years engaged in stock-raising on Thompson's River, after which he settled on John Day River, Oregon, in what is now Gilliam co. He married, in 1877, Joesephine Writsman, and has 4 children. He owns 320 acres of bottom-land, has 5 square miles of pature under fence, has 2,000 head of cattle, and 200 horses. HIs grain land produces 30 bushels of wheat or 60 bushels of barley to the acre.


Return to Bancroft's Works Main Index
Return to Bancroft's Works County Index
Return to "A Place Called Oregon"